McNew lands national leadership position within Business Professionals of America

Amber McNew, previous state director for Business Professional of America, will now take on a major leadership role within the organization.

Back to Article
Back to Article

McNew has served over two decades in the Business Professionals of America organizations and holds two separate bachelor degrees in the field of business.

Photo courtesy of BPA.org

Photo courtesy of BPA.org

Photo courtesy of BPA.org

Brianna Rupp-Jones, Bullseye Editor-in-Chief

Business Professionals of America, better known as BPA, started it’s organization in 1966. The fundamental goal of which is to help student leaders find their passions by giving them opportunities through education, competitions, community service, and personal development. Currently, the robust organization has 45,000 members in over 1,800 chapters spreading across 25 states, including Puerto Rico.

This past week, BPA announced that Amber McNew would be the newly hired National Director of Education. This role puts McNew  second in charge of the entire company. 

While her time as the state director was fulfilling, she is ecstatic about the internal promotion.

“I absolutely love being the Kansas state director,” said McNew. “It was a very hard decision to leave but am excited for the opportunity to serve at the national level.”

As National Director of Education, McNew will be looking after the design, development and implementation of innovation education programs for students, advisers and other stakeholders. She will also coordinate and engage in strategic planning and grant development to further advance the organization’s vision of being a key innovator in Career and Technical Education.

“I’m so proud of her,” said senior Taylor Tasaka. “I’m so happy she took the position for herself because that is important for her job, so she’ll be on the National Board of Education which she will be able to attend all the press conferences and go to BPA’s in different schools.” 

In addition, she will oversee development, implementation, distribution and assessment of the organization’s keystone Workplace Skills Assessment Program, a primary intracurricular component of Business Professionals of America. This offers over 90 competitive events under Assessment Areas including Finance, Business Administration, Management Information Systems, Digital Communication & Design and Management, Marketing & Communications.

“I’m the type of person who works best when busy,” McNew said. “I will be giving up four hats for one bigger one. I gave up Maize South BPA, Kansas BPA, SAAC Chair, and the Board of Trustees. My time and energy will be focused on one bigger job than several smaller ones.”

Business teacher Samantha Cooper and new assistant leader, Mrs. Harrod, will take the reigns of the daily work and functioning of the organization at Maize South High moving forward.