Multicultural dancers prepare for Black History Month

Students prepare for the BHM dance. The Multicultural Club prepared a dance for last year’s presentation and intends to continue the legacy this year. Photo by A. Esser

by Michael Guillen

South’s Multicultural Club (MCC) prepares for its third annual Black History Month (BHM) Program to be held on Feb. 24. The show consists of not only a singing portion and video presentation, but also a dance performed by the BHM dance crew.

Dancing was first initiated into the program last year and will continue as the newest tradition. Seventeen students, four of which are returning dancers, are currently getting ready for the big day by practicing on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays during EnCor, Thursday after school, and Sundays at different members’ houses.

“I think it’ll be better than lasts year’s because I think we’ll have more improvements with things that we haven’t done yet,” Manuel Revillar, 12, said.

The current dance is choreographed by Michael Guillen, 12, Monet Hickman, 2011 graduate, Allena Em 9, Kayla Brown, 10, and Fabiola Nuñez, a Goddard high school student.

“It gets stressful to juggle all of my extracurricular activities, but it’s really fun because you get to be around all your friends more often,” Sierra Madrigal, 12, said.

The dancers will perform during an extended EnCor in front of the entire student body.

“It kind of excites me and gets me a little nervous, and makes me get butterflies in my belly to know that the show is getting so close,” Ryan Gavina, 10, said.

These students came together to not only show the student body how MCC celebrates all cultures, but to get South involved with BHM during the month of February.

“To me Black History Month means time to step back and look at what African Americans have gone through, what I need to work towards, and what I stand for,” Jasmine Jones, 12, said.

Ryan Gavina, 10, and Sierra Madrigal, 12, practice their partner dance during and EnCor practice. Neither participated in the BHM dance last year. Photo by A. Esser