Grade point average reflects how Mavs have hit the books

Marcy Cuestas, 10, measures a liquid in the graduated cylinder for Chemistry I on Jan. 5. South offers a variety upper level classes to challenge its students.. Photo by C. Eck

by Christian Eck

As the school year progressed, students were greeted by Dave Hickerson, the new principal of South. He expressed his goals to keep grades up, score well on state tests and represent the Maize Way appropriately.

One reward for keeping grades high is being recognized as an Honor Roll student. The Honor Roll awarded to students with a 3.0 to 3.99 grade point average. The Principal’s Honor Roll is for students with a 4.0 GPA and above.

Last term, South showed its intelligence with 503 of the nearly700 Mavericks on the honor roll, about 72% of the school.

“I am pretty proud to be at a school where academics are so highly counted and students are pushed to excel,” Adam Melichar, counselor, said. “South is an anomaly compared to a lot of schools. Not a lot of schools can say they’ve done what we’ve done.”

Interested in improving your GPA?  Here is a list of tips.

1. Eat a Good Breakfast – Experts say that a good breakfast improves memory and sets a good mood for the rest of the day.
  2. Don’t Procrastinate – Waiting till the last second to do an assignment adds stress and leads to a bad habit.
  3. Ask Questions – Don’t be shy, teachers are there to help you!