Pre-enrollment meetings prepare students for 2012-2013

Adam+Melichar%2C+counselor%2C+helps+Abby+Stockton%2C+11%2C+with+her+enrollment+for+next+year.+This+year%E2%80%99s+enrollment+process+was+more+extensive+than+in+the+past+due+to+the+new+classes+offered.+Photo+by+M.+Guillen+

Adam Melichar, counselor, helps Abby Stockton, 11, with her enrollment for next year. This year’s enrollment process was more extensive than in the past due to the new classes offered. Photo by M. Guillen

by Michael Guillen

As Mavericks prep themselves for next year’s courses, Adam Melichar, counselor, began pre-enrollment meetings during the first few weeks of January. These meetings are held during an extended EnCor and are intended to make the enrollment process easier for the students.

“The main purpose of these meetings is to raise awareness on course offerings, familiarize students with graduation credits, and to introduce the new classes available next year,” Melichar said.

Aaron Hay, 9, found the meeting to have necessary information that he will need when the time comes to turn in his enrollment packet.

“The meeting was helpful because I can think before I have to sign up,” Hay said.

The new classes make up a large variety including those like Fire Science, CNA Program, Care of Athletes, and Meteorology; however, students who enroll in some of these classes will have to travel to Maize High for the block that it is offered.

“I’m planning on taking the class Care of Athletes because I want to be a physical trainer and this class would really help out,” Hay said.

Although students are enrolling a semester early, this gives them ample opportunity to see what is being offered to them as well as to help to create a structured school schedule.

Remaining dates for pre-enrollment:

Thurs., Jan. 12   Freshmen Mc – R

Fri., Jan. 13         Freshmen S – Z

Tues., Jan. 17     Sophomores & Juniors A – B

Wed., Jan. 18      Sophomores & Juniors C – D

Thurs., Jan. 19   Sophomores & Juniors E – Ha

Fri., Jan. 20         Sophomores & Juniors He – K

Mon., Jan. 23        Sophomores & Juniors L – Me

Tues., Jan. 24      Sophomores & Juniors Mi – P

Wed., Jan. 25       Sophomores & Juniors R – So

Thurs., Jan. 26    Sophomores & Juniors St –V

Fri., Jan. 27            Sophomores & Juniors W – Z