South’s annual Blood Donation

The blood drive truck parked outside of South. Students go at specific times to give their blood. Photo by S. Baylock

BY MIKAYLA LABEE

South held a blood drive on Nov 15. for anyone and everyone 16-17 years of age with parent consent, and 18 or above with individual consent. Having spoken with members of the blood drive, they were very surprised this year with the results and the number of people who chose to donate.

“Normally we have trouble getting the time slots all filled, but this year we ended up having extras, and had to have a waiting list,” Emma Queen, 12, said.

The difference of this year and last has made a positive impact on the outlook of South. The members of the team who coordinated the drive took care of the patients before and after the drive: giving water, providing snacks, and offering lots of support for the decision to be giving a helping hand to the people in need.

“It was easier to feel better about doing it because they were very concerned with my health and how I was feeling. It makes me want to do it next year for sure,” Vanessa Osoreo, 12, said.

Donating and going through with the time it takes to donate typically fluctuates every year. Having as many people be a part of the drive this year gives a lot of hope to the team of the KAY Blood Drive and in the future to upcoming teens wanting to donate to a good cause.