Culinary essentials battles over the best sandwhich

Wesley Spurgeon, 12, sprinkles ingredients into the mixing bowl. Spurgeon participated in the competition by creating a waffle sandwich. Photo by A. Zwetzig

BY ALLIE ZWETZIG & CALISTA WILLIG

Pans are heating up, food is being chopped, time is ticking by, and stress levels are quickly rising.

During school hours, South culinary students spent the four days completing an intense assignment provided by Jessica Buchanan, family and consumer sciences teacher (FACS).

“Students created a sandwich with the same curriculum as Maize High School.” said Buchanan

Students were split into five separate groups in a competition to create the best sandwich, website, and menu. Lab groups were required to create an original sandwich which could include any of the food products available at Dillon’s Marketplace.

“We decided what foods we didn’t like, like lettuce, and went from there,” said Makayla Russell, 12. “We had a fried chicken thigh, ranch, spinach, pepper jack cheese, and pretzel bun.”

In total, the assignment was worth 74 points, with the chance for ten extra credit points  provided to the winner’s of the contest.

“Half of the grade was an assignment grade,” said Buchanan. “The other half was a lab grade.”

Many students agreed that they enjoyed the project, with the exception of the creation and presentation of their websites. However, not everyone was quite as enthusiastic.

“I really didn’t enjoy the project because I don’t feel like I learned from it,” said Caden Brown, 9. “I felt like it was very overwhelming.”

He was not the only one with this opinion; several others had similar feelings towards the sandwich lab.

“The assignment was very stressful and overwhelming,” said Grace Skelton, 9. “I think we should have done pasta instead.”

Buchanan plans to re-assign this activity to next year’s culinary class. She will not be making any changes and will continue using the same rubric from the previous year.