Science students experiment to learn scientific method

Mac Evans, 10, measures Keeman Garcia’s, 10, arm span in Biology. The average 16 year-old male’s arm span is 167.27 cm. Photo by J. Nave

by Brandon Rimer and Jarret Nave

Science classes started the semester with lab experiments to get students involved in the scientific method. On Jan. 5, the second day of the semester, Mark Kane’s Biology class did a measurement activity.  Students measured to see if they were symmetrical to the approximant height to the Vitruvian man.

“We were seeing if they were symmetric to the Vitruvian man,” Clayton Stuart, 10, said. “It’s the drawing that DaVinci did, and he’s a perfectly symmetrical man.”

They measured their height, arm spans, feet and forearms. They used the information and recorded their findings on a handout.

After that, on January 6, the class worked on another activity to determine more about the scientific method. This activity they had was examining a whole carrot through a microscope.

“It was fun to get to interact, get hands on stuff, get up a move around, and learn new stuff,” Jacklynn Brock, 10, said.

No worksheet was included in the carrot activity.  Instead, student completed  the activity to see plant cells and the cell structure of living things.

“The cell looked like boiling water,” Caleb Peterson, 10, said. “It was a fun experience.”

Clayton Stuart, 10, measures Jacklynn Brock’s, 10, arm span in Biology. The experiment let them see if the Vitruvian man ratios were correct. Photo by J. Nave