Swimmers fall short of placing at Campus Invitational

Alex Orth, 11, dives into Northwest YMCA pool during a relay Dec. 3. South placed third at the competition. Photo by T. Mitchell

by Collin Kasitz

The boys swim team had their second meet on Dec. 12 at Campus High School in the Campus Invitational.  The meet started at 5 p.m. and lasted about three hours.  The teams in the meet were South, Maize High, Winfield, Collegiate, Wichita South, Campus, Independent and McPherson.

“To prepare for a meet I get plenty of rest, eat the right foods, and drink plenty of water,” Danny Minks, 12, said.  “We work on starts, both individually and relay, and we do a light workout to loosen up and stretch out during practice.”    

South didn’t place but some notable individual placers were:  Caleb Peterson, 10, who placed third in the 200 yd freestyle and fifth in the 100 yd backstroke. Peterson earned South 31 points.

Minks placed sixth in the 100 yd breaststroke and gave South 13 points.  The relay team of Minks, Peterson, Alex Orth and Ridge McDonald, both 10, also placed third in the 200 yd freestyle relay.  Even though they did not place as a team overall, Minks believes they did well.

“I think we have got off to a good start this season,” Minks said.