Stress, anxiety and cheating: results of an overwhelming schedule

Jed Heath, science, explains the assignment to his students. "I would rather get my assignments done in class than stress after school." Jack Manske, 9, said. Photo by K. Angle

BY KILEY ANGLE & MADDIE MANSKE

The majority of teenagers spend their nights working, at practice or completing the mass amount of homework given that day. Students everywhere have overwhelming schedules which can lead to mass amounts of stress and anxiety.

“I stay up late a lot because my work schedule doesn’t work with the amount of homework I’m given,” Jacob Robb, 12, said, “It stresses me out a lot.”

A study put together by Stanford University presented the amount of pressure students are under to achieve and maintain good grades. The study showed that one of the leading causes to stress or anxiety often leads into cheating.

“I don’t support the idea of cheating but I do understand why students would turn to it,” Holly Davis, math, said. “With pressure to get good grades, some students may turn to cheating even though it is not helping them in the long run.”

Student athletes’ schedules change drastically if they are trying to incorporate a job or any activity outside of school and practice. Most jobs don’t follow their schedule around every practice, game or activity for school.

“I bowl and have a job, as well as several AP classes, so my schedule is almost always busy,” Alexis Finn, 11, said.

With classes giving about one to two hours of homework per night, which could be doubled or even tripled with the class load, working three to nine hours after school or having a one to two hour practice might send students to mental breakdowns.

“A lot of the time I have to go to school all day and then go to work or some nights I may have rehearsal,” Carlee Padron, 12, said. “It’s stressful having classes give homework the majority of the time, having to work until close and being at the school until nine or ten at night. It all seems like a lot.”