Students wear blue in honor of injuried Wichita policeman

BY BRIANNA JONES-RUPP & KYLER DUNHAM

Brian Arterburn is a police officer who was severely injured Feb. 8 due to a stolen vehicular chase. Arterburn was throwing down tire spikes to stop Justin Francisco Terrazas and was hit due to Terrazas’s swerving.

I wore blue last Friday for Brian who’s a police officer that was injured in his line of duty,” Katie Brown, 10, said. “It is important to me to support people in need. It’s important to come together as a city and as a family and showing our love for him.”

Maize South came together to show support towards Arterburn by wearing blue on Feb. 10 and signing posters for him.

“In this field there are specific tones for an officer in trouble,” Carrie Phelps, officer, said. “When those tones come across they become too familiar to you and you listen and hope and pray it’s not near you and hope that the officer isn’t really in trouble.”

Some students knew the officer personally and some did not know him at all. All students were invited to dress in blue to show the support of a member of their community.

“He is still apart of a bigger family and when you enter this brother-sisterhood you just enter a large family and it doesn’t really matter what department what color you wear or anything like that we all become one,” Phelps said. “We all hope and pray he pulls through and that he doesn’t have any serious injuries long term.”

Maize South students wear blue and take a picture for injured police officer. Photo courtesy of Adam Melichar