Athletes learn qualifications for NCAA

Athletes are learning how to qualify for college sports at the maverick career lecture series meeting. Photo by Laurel Smith

BY KYLER DUNHAM & SERENA RODRIGUEZ

Presenting a slideshow, Adam Melichar, counselor, talks to a group of students about their future college transcripts at the Maverick Career Lecture Series. The meeting was open for all students, and took place in the lecture hall. Once a month, Melichar holds a meeting that includes a guest speaker. This time, the topic was over how to prepare yourself for playing sports in college.

“Today, I was the speaker presenting, and it was on NCAA eligibility. Many kids want to play sports in college and have no idea what they need to play in order to be eligible,” said Melichar.

From attending this meeting, the students learned about how to become eligible for college sports. They were also taught how to fill out a college transcript. Students now know they should get their core classes out of the way before college begins.

“I wanted to figure out how to become D1 eligible,” said Destini Eskridge. “Not getting enough core classes would be an obstacle, and I would have to study.”

Students realized the difficulty of going from high school sports to college sports. Melichar met with the few students who attended the lecture so he could help them set goals for themselves. By attending the lecture, the students now have a better mindset on how to set themselves up to play college sports.

“I went to the lecture for my speech class, and I learned how NCAA rules for D1, and I learned how an athlete can balance their transcript [sic]good and that the hardest part would be to make the transition from high school to college,” said Diamond Taylor. “The plays and the workouts will be a lot more strict.”

Athletes learn how to qualify for college sports at the Maverick Career Lecture Series meeting. Adam Melichar, counselor, led the meeting. Photo by L. Smith