SADD uses monthly features to raise awarenss

Adam Melichar, counseling, measures to make sure the ribbon is exactly as it was designed. He assisted SADD members in putting up a colossal ribbon in the commons for Red Ribbon Week awareness. Photo by T. Mitchell

by Taylor Mitchell

The week of Oct. 24-28 Students Against Destructive Decisions (SADD) promoted Red Ribbon Week by having drug and alcohol awareness facts read on the morning announcements and tied red ribbons on vehicles in the parking lots.

To take it to the next level, club members created an enormous red ribbon and placed it on the tiles of the wall in the commons area.

“It’s good to spend a week rededicating our focus to helping students make wise and safe decisions,” Adam Melichar, counselor, said.  

SADD Club President Alex Corbett, 12, took the meaning of the week to heart as she and the rest of the club members did their best to inform their peers of what the week truly means.

“It’s [Red Ribbon Week] an opportunity to allow students to see how their negative decisions impacts and allows the chance to change that for themselves and other students,” Alex Corbett, 12, said.

Besides Red Ribbon Week, every month SADD features a different destructive decision, for instance drunk driving and drug abuse, to further inform students of their harmful effects.

“No one seems to care until it truly affects them personally. We want to bring awareness,” Corbett said.

With the goal of informing students about the harmful effects of drugs and alcohol use, SADD plans to take a better known role to keep the message going even after the initial week.

“I want SADD to take a more prominent position in the school and to bring cultural awareness to destructive decisions students face on a daily basis,” Melichar said.

Alex Corbett, Alesha Stroh, and Danny Minks, all 12, work on measuring and assembling red paper squares. The squares were to form the shape of the desired red ribbon. Photo by T. Mitchell