Tung brings together feminists

Jessica Tung, 11, hangs feminist club meeting information poster, to inform students and staff.

BY KILEY ANGLE & ALIYAH FUNSCHELLE

Only 39 percent of the US population openly call themselves feminists, and 26 South students fall under that statistic.

Jessica Tung, 11, started the Feminist club with some peers who held similar views.

“I heard some things that some boys at the school said about feminism,” Tung said.  “They seemed to have some outdated ideas, and I thought the club would be a good thing to start.”

Feminism is advocating women’s rights for political, social and economic equality to men. Members have agreed on one idea: to share an understanding about feminism  

“I just hope that we can open up an understanding from everyone as well as make it clear that feminism is for everyone,” Tung said. “A lot of boys think that we’re going to attack them and that’s not what we want to do at all.”

As feminism continues to grow, controversy will continue to grow with it.

“I am a little worried that someone will try to start a meninist club and someone did try to start that I think,” Tung said  “I’m not too worried because feminism is a just cause and I don’t think that anything else is going to take that down.”

Jessica Tung, 11, hangs feminist club meeting information poster, to inform students and staff. Photo by K. Angle