Debate squad prepares for season opener Sept. 17 at Heights

Kylee Sorrells, 11, sorts through a box of evidence for Debate class. Debate students used the boxes of evidence to debate against or with the case that the whole class is assigned. Photo by J. Nave

by Jarret Nave

The debate team has its first tournament on Sept. 17 at Heights High School, and debaters prepare daily for the competition. Wesley Rice’s, English, favorite part about debate is going to the competitions.

“I’m excited to see how they do!’ Rice said. “We’ve been discussing different cases and going through mountains and mountains of evidence.”

It’s Dalton Glasscock’s, 11, third year doing debate, and he likes it because it enhances his speaking skills for his future job in politics.

“I like debating affirmatively because I can hold a substantial conversation, and I like debating negatively because I can be more liberal,” Glasscock said.

In debate, the rules are simple. There is one topic, two sides, and one judge. One side is argues for the affirmative; the negative team argues against the resolution and to maintain the status quo. After arguments, the judge chooses the winner.

Christopher Cope, 12, has debated for two years, and he prefers to debate against the topic.

“I prefer (debating) negatively because it gives me less stress on the topic.” Cope said.

Debate is second block in A101 with over 25 students enrolled. Kylee Sorrells, 11, is excited about her second year in debate and going to the tournament later this week.

“I love going to competitions,” Sorrells said. “You know you know everything.”

Christopher Cope, 12, cuts evidence into cards to help organize his box of evidence. Wesley Rice, English, helped Kylee Sorrells, 11, with her questions. Photo by J. Nave