Newman University expands advance standing class offerings to USD 266 students

Alesha Stroh and Brad Samakim, both 12, talk to the Newman admissions representatives on Aug. 30. Students signed up for dual-credit classes offered through the Advanced Standing program at Newman University. Photo by A. Esser

by Collin Kasitz

Juniors and seniors at South now have something to look forward to for college credits. Starting this fall, Newman University has expanded its Advanced Standing Program offered to USD 266 students.

This change will allow high school students to take college-level courses at a reduced cost beyond the six classes currently offered at South for dual credit.

“There are special requirements students have to fulfill to take any of the classes offered at Newman, but if they do, they can take the class for $65,” Diane Close, counselor, said.

The special requirements include completing a form and paying any lab or class fees. The form is available in the Office of Academic Affairs at Newman.

Whereas the regular charge for tuition at Newman is $696 per credit hour, students will get the option to pay only $65 when enrolling in the Advanced Standing program. This is the same price students pay when taking classes for dual credit at South.

“I think this will give a lot of students college credits while they are still in high school, and at a very discounted price,” Adam Melichar, counselor, said.

Students have a variety of classes, including electives, from which to choose. To take any of these classes students must have a grade-point average of at least 3.0.  

“The classes at Newman should open doors for new opportunities for students with this program,” Close said.

Classes students can take for dual credit at South include Chemistry 2, English 12, Spreadsheets and Databases, Advanced Processing, Intro to College Math, and Pre-Calculus. However, students can take any course at Newman for the reduced fee.

“I encourage students to go online to http://www.newmanu.edu and look up what classes they have to offer,” Close said. 

The point of this program is to give students an advantage to knock some of their college credits out of the way before they even graduate high school; therefore, when they begin college they can move on to more desirable classes