Hickerson transitions from Maize High to South, sets goals

by Austyn Esser

Dave Hickerson, principal, works in his office.“I want to be able to connect and engage with staff, students and the community especially as a new principal,” Hickerson said. Photo by A. Esser

Dave Hickerson, principal, started his reign as mighty maverick for the 2011-2012 school year on Aug. 15.  His previous educational status lead him up to his current position as the head of South. Hickerson was previously an associate principal at Maize High School.

“My first teaching job was at Stafford High School (Stafford, Kan.) and I was there for three years,” Hickerson said. “Then I was at Valley Center (Valley Center, Kan.) for 19 years, and then going on six years at Maize so far. I have 27 years in education.”

Since the time he was in high school, Hickerson knew he desired a career that had to do with education.

“When I was in high school I thought about being a teacher and coach,” Hickerson said. “I liked the leadership role of being a coach. I was always involved with athletics. Just like you guys, I always came back to school! In college I leaned more toward the administration roles. I really like the size and feel of Maize South High School.”

Before starting the year he made a point to create goals that he plans to implement throughout his time at South.

“I have a couple of goals,” Hickerson said. “One is to provide a safe environment for students, teachers, and staff. And secondly to create a learning environment where our students are challenged and supported as we need to get them ready for college and the work force and provide different opportunities for them as well.”

Along with his eagerness to create such an atmosphere, he shared aspirations to make a good bond with everyone as well.

“I want to be able to connect and engage with staff, students and the community especially as a new principal,” Hickerson said.  “I want to build a good relationship with students, staff and parents.”