Community competes to show compassion

Students collected soap, towels, toothpaste and other toiletries for the Compassion competition. Each class gathered several items to donate to the homeless; there were 12 bags of toiletries. Photo by A. McLaurian

by Ashlee McLaurian, Emily Wilson & Macy Moutray

Throughout the year, students showed a range of impressive character traits. This month’s trait is compassion. Planned by the Character Ed Planning Committee, South students, along with the staff, planned to show compassion through a friendly competition of bringing the most toiletry items for the homeless.

The freshmen brought deodorant, sophomores brought toothbrush and toothpaste, juniors brought shampoo and conditioner, and seniors brought soap, and staff brought towels. The competition took place through the week of Sept. 24 to 28.

“The compassion activity puts the school in good light and provides good public relation, and it teaches everyone to be caring about one another,” Brian Huber, industrial arts teacher said.

Students at South participate in various community service activities outside of school. Some believe it is important to contribute to helping the community and local areas near the city.

“It is important to give back to your community because I like to help others, and it gives me a good feeling when I give to people that I know don’t have anything.” Katie Johnston, 12, said,”Especially since I live here, I want to help the people in this city.”

South students believe the best part of giving is seeing their faces light up with thankfulness, but others have different opinions. The act of giving inspires students to create a sense of renewal or change.

“The best part of giving is knowing that I gave to someone who is less fortunate than I am,” Bailey Woods, 12, said,” I believe if you want to see a change in the world, then it starts with yourself.”

The dictionary meaning of compassion is “a feeling of deep sympathy and sorrow for another who is stricken by misfortune, accompanied by a strong desire to alleviate the suffering.” Students at South have given their own definition and continue to give to the community.

“It means doing something out of the good of your heart and not expecting anything in return,” Mac Evans, 11, said.