Spirit week brightens halls

Mckenzie Miller, Dylan McDonald and Ellie Staver, all 10, participate in neon day for spirit week. They dressed in their brightest clothes to show their school spirit. Photo by A. Stringfellow

by Aliyah Funschelle & Ashley Stringfellow

­­Crazy costumes and unlimited ideas were all a part of Homecoming week. The students got to show their school spirit by dressing up with the different themes each day.

“I enjoy participating in spirit week because I can show my school spirit while having a good time,” Dylan McDonald, 10, said.

Throughout the course of the week, students found ways to dress up for the daily themes. Monday was neon day, while Tuesday was flash forward day. Wednesday’s activity was ninja day, Thursday was Avenger’s day, and Friday wrapped up the week with class colors day.

“It’s fun to dress up in crazy costumes,” Jocelyn Mangum, 9, said. “I get to look for all new clothes to make my outfit complete.”

Students spent time at thrift shops and found various items to complete their outfit of choice.

“I went to Goodwill and bought my entire outfit,” Max Kubik, 9, said. “I dressed up as a professional speed cup stacker.”

Students had some restrictions that held them back from going all out on their outfit. Masks and fake weapons were some of the items that were not allowed. All dress code rules still applied during the week.

“I don’t like how dress code still applies on spirit week because in order to make your outfit complete, you need certain items and they won’t let you have them at school.” Tristen Rosiere, 9, said.

On future day, some students had a story behind their costumes. Ashton Bloomer, 12, was one of those students with a reason behind their outfit of choice.

“I’ve always admired the Disney princess Ariel; I know every one of her songs,” Bloomer said. “When I get older, I want to work at a Disney park and dress as her.”

Spirit Week gives students a chance to show school spirit and enjoy all the activities it has to offer. They find ways to make it as memorable as possible.