Freshman presidential results in

Aliyah Funschelle, 9, hangs posters up supporting her campaign. Funschelle received roughly 50 percent of the vote to earn her place as freshman class president. Photo by P. Sanders

by Peyton Sanders & Ben Snook

Aliyah Funschelle, 9, eagerly anticipated the afternoon announcements on Sept. 21. The news about to be delivered was nothing ordinary; it was the result of the freshman class election.

“I feel enthusiastic that all of my hard work has paid off,” Funschelle said. “I feel excited that I get to represent my class in a positive manner.”

That is because Funschelle won the election as freshman class president, but it was no walk-in-the-park. Diligent hours making posters and preparing for the election propelled her into her position as president. Now that the hard work has paid off, she is ready to take charge.

“I want to try and get everyone involved in our school so that they have a memorable freshman year,” Funschelle said. “I want them to be excited about coming to school by having more events geared towards freshman.”
Funschelle received roughly 50 percent of the vote. Her two competitors were Emily Van, 9, and Ben Schoenhals, 9.

“It was fun and thrilling,” Schoenhals said. “It made you feel like it was a big competition.”
A part of becoming class president includes thinking of ways to persuade fellow classmates to vote for each candidate. Each competitor had a different way of campaigning.

“It was fun because I ran as a duo with my friend Emily Bruggeman,” Van said. “We made posters and hung those up, we bought M & M’s and put stickers on the candy that said ‘Em and Em’. I found that it was a little competitive because everyone that was running was so involved.”

While Funschelle rose to the top of the freshman branch of StuCo, Van remained happy with her position as secretary in StuCo.

“I want to run again next year because my ultimate goal is to be president of my class,” Van said.

Even though Schoenhals and Van were not able to come out at the top of the election, that has not depleted their hopes of what may come next year.

“I feel like even though we all tried our hardest, in the end, we were at the mercy of the freshman student body,” Funschelle said.