Forensics wins multiple medals Feb. 2-4, hosts tournament Feb. 18

Andrew Horning and Kayla McLaughlin, both 11, practice their Duo Interpretation performance during Forensics. The team had several wins over the four-day weekend. Photo by G. Buckner

by Gabby Buckner

Over the parent/teacher conference break, South’s forensics team achieved multiple wins in three tournaments. The team presented their performances at Bishop Carroll on Feb. 2, and El Dorado on Feb. 3 and 4. Two students medaled in Thursday’s tournament and a total of 15 students medaled at the El Dorado tournaments.

“It was freaking amazing to medal in Exempt considering it was my first tournament,” Kylee Sorrells, 11, said.

In each event, the top six students who break through to finals will medal. A single student can medal in up to three events at the Feb. 4 El Dorado tournament, Andrew Horning, 11, medaled in Humorous Interpretation, Duo, and Impromptu.

“Andrew did really well this weekend because he was able to get first in Duo and place in two other events,” Mike Dunham, 11, said.

The forensics team takes pride in their performances. Whether it is a student’s first tournament, or if they are a veteran to the team, the South forensics team still enjoys doing their best and breaking to finals.

“It’s really great to be able to find a piece that really suits you and it just comes naturally,” Sarah Kurien, 11, said. “You can really get into it.”